Friday, April 6, 2012

First Day of Work and Scary Shrimp

Today was my first day of work. It was the kids first day of school, the new first years were a beautiful mix of excited, scared, and confused. They had an assembly in the gym. All the new teachers were introduced, including me. The kids were all really excited to have an ALT (assistant language teacher). As soon as I walked into the room all the kids started to scream, I felt like a celebrity. ALTs main job seems to get the kids in high spirits, and share a little bit of language with the kids. It's a lot of pressure, but I'm up for it. I am just as excited as the students, I think teaching english is going to be a lot of fun. I wrote my first lesson plan today. It went really well, and I'm confident that it will work.

Today I grabbed dinner all by myself. It was an interesting experience. My Japanese is coming along, but menus are hard enough in your native language, so if I can't just point at a picture I'm mostly lost. The restaurant I chose had no pictures on the menu, so I asked the waitress what she liked. She happened to like sashimi. With my sushi came a giant shrimp, it was one of those shrimp with the antennae, eyeballs, and legs still attached. It frankly gave me the heebie geebies. I have no way of processing that sort of thing, so I did the super mature thing... and hid it under my napkin. Not a proud moment, but I did really enjoy the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave requests, opinions, and comments!